Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 61

There is a longing in most, if not all, girls heart to be whole-heartedly, unabashedly, compassionately, tenderly, earth-shatteringly loved.  

 I was thinking about this when Kate Nash's song "Nicest Thing" came on Pandora.   Many of my friends right now are looking for that love.  They are looking for their Mr. Darcy/Edward/Robin Hood/Romeo.    I remember the years of longing for my Warrior Poet.  I wanted so much to have someone hold me at night.  I wanted someone to see only me in the room.   I wanted it to be like there was an invisible string connecting me to him so that no matter what, no matter who we were talking to, or what we were doing, we were always together.  You knew there was a second part of that person somewhere in the room.  Oh, how I remember the painful longing.

 I understand that it's a great example of how we should long for Christ and that He should be enough.  I spent my highschool years with a plan to not date anyone so I could focus on other things, Christ being key.  He was enough for me.  That didn't mean I never wanted a human connection.  If we weren't made to need that, I, a woman, wouldn't be here.  We want to be princesses just as much as guys want to be the knight.  I'm not trying to be sexist or cruel.  I'm not saying either is better or that no one ever strays outside that.   There is no reason why "Twilight" is as popular as it is if this wasn't true.  I've read them.  I like them.  Are they well-written?  Not really.   They portray a character though that will go to all ends to keep his girl safe, someone he can't resist, and yet in the same time, he does resist til wedding day.  (Sorry. Spoiler.)  He is intoxicated by her very presence and yet is willing to give it up to keep her safe.  He will fight for her.  Die (??) for her.  Dazzle her.  (Sorry. Had to.)  Who doesn't want a charming, GENTLEMAN, like that?  

I guess all this is to say, girls, there is nothing wrong with wanting your Someone.  It's God-given even.  Keep God first, fall madly in love with Him and someday, someone will be falling beside you.

Keep hope.  And as Syl and I say, the guy is like a present, you can shake to see what's inside but don't open the box til Christmas.  (I hope you followed that analogue. ;) ) Shake and wait, baby, shake and wait.



"The Nicest Thing"
Kate Nash

All I know is that you're so nice
You're the nicest thing I've seen
I wish that we could give it a go
See if we could be something

I wish I was your favourite girl
I wish you thought I was the reason you are in the world
I wish my smile was your favourite kind of smile
I wish the way that I dressed was your favourite kind of style

I wish you couldn't figure me out
But you'd always wanna know what I was about
I wish you'd hold my hand
When I was upset
I wish you'd never forget
The look on my face when we first met

I wish you had a favourite beauty spot
That you loved secretly
'Cause it was on a hidden bit
That nobody else could see
Basically, I wish that you loved me
I wish that you needed me
I wish that you knew when I said two sugars,
Actually I meant three

I wish that without me your heart would break
I wish that without me you'd be spending the rest of your nights awake
I wish that without me you couldn't eat
I wish I was the last thing on your mind before you went to sleep

Look, all I know is that you're the nicest thing I've ever seen
And I wish that we could see if we could be something
Yeah I wish that we could see if we could be something

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite posts by you now... I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete

Give a smile. :)