Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 53

I was thinking about the fantastic movie "Pollyanna" and how much I love it this morning.  I think it has shaped my life a bit too.  It's a slightly terribly sad movie, but oh so happy in oh so many places as well.  One of the main things I remember about Pollyanna is she always found the bright side of things.  It didn't matter what the situation, she made a game of finding the good in all.   Isn't that a marvelous game?  It makes life a lot easier if you are constantly looking for good instead of bad.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."  
Philippians 4:8  (The Holy Bible)



"If there is any excellence... anything worth of praise."   People often use this verse as a reference to what you should or shouldn't read/watch/listen to.  I think that's all good and well, but perhaps it goes deeper.  






When you read the chapter, it's not about what you should or should not do.  It's about living together in harmony and reasonableness.  It's about agreeing with one another in Christ.I think so often we take verses and make them into standards, rules to live and judge, instead of seeing that the point isn't just another rule.  The point is, as Paul says,



  "9)What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

I don't know how to say exactly what I'm getting at, except perhaps this, this to me is another tragic case of a verse that has been taken out of context, and instead of it's compelling you to peace, has to been a tool.  There is nothing wrong with using this as a standard for your entertainment guidelines, but, I'm so sad I have never thought of or had this verse taught to me as a guide for how to view others.



Ah. Well.  Time to get ready for work.

Let me know your thoughts, please. :)


The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. :)

(OH! I've been asked before how to comment on this blog.  Here's how:  Sign up for a Google account, then you will be able to follow and comment on the blog. You can also click on the link if you are a Facebook follower, and then, you can also comment anonymously.)


Online Bible Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give a smile. :)