Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 46

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

This is absolutely one of my favorite days of the year.  I don't know when I started to truly love St. Patrick's Day, but I love it so.    I will spend more on this holiday than almost all of the others with fun things for the day.  I held back a little this year, but so far, it's been one of the best days of the year.  The only thing that could make it better is if Josh had been able to be off today.    

That's part of the beauty of March 17th to me though.  This isn't a day you have to take off.  If you want to celebrate today, you have to work it out.   I traded days with a coworker so I could be home tonight.  It's hours I'd gladly lose. 

I'm not one who knows every bit of tradition.  In fact, today, I learned a new one, thanks to my friend Jer.  Apparently if you are Catholic, you wear green, if Protestant, you wear orange.  Interesting, no? (According to ask.com: "Orange is symbolic of Irish Protestants while green is symbolic of Irish Catholics. On the Irish flag, there is an orange stripe, a green stripe and a white stripe. The orange is for the Protestants, the green is for the Catholics and the white is for the hope of peace between the two.")  

I love this day for the day.  I love the fact that it's a day to gather together, accept everyone as one of you ("Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day") enjoy good food and drink, celebrate spring with green and enjoy life.  No presents or cards to worry about.  No one to insult by wishing them a "happy St. Patrick's Day".  It's just fun.  And I rock a green wig, btw.

Today has, like I said, been one of the best days I've had this year.   My mom and I went to the library and grocery.  Then we came home and made Irish rarebit with guinness.  ;-p   Now I have an amazingly yummy smelling brisket going on the stove and preparations for the rest of the meal going.  The sun is shining, the windows open, the puppies happy, and I'm wearing an outfit that makes me feel beautiful.  It's a fan-freaking-tastic day.    Tonight, some friends are coming over.  We're watching Boondock Saints 1&2 and eating and, for those old enough, drinking if you wish. (Yeah, underage drinking isn't something I condone.) 

What a beautiful day to be Irish.

(I'm not Irish, as far as I know, except on Patty's Day.  My family line is actually, shhhh, Scottish via Clan Stewart.) 

Last year for work, I wore the wig.
The kids
"wigged" out. 
Ready to celebrate the day in style.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give a smile. :)