Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 85 | Stargirl

I'm having a rough morning.  I don't feel the need to share why on here.  It's just been tough.  Somewhere has been really loving and supportive, and for that, I'm eternally grateful.  There is nothing like having your best friend there for you when you need him.  


Source

I started reading a children's book yesterday called "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli.  


 My friend, who I will call Sunshine, gave it to me before she left for Japan.  I miss her. *sigh*  


I started the book yesterday and finished it this morning.  It was a book I should have read years and years ago.  It deals with a homeschool girl who goes to public school (only homeschoolers say it like that.  I know) in the 10th grade.  


She's a different girl, who wears long skirts, plays the ukulele, cares for everyone and has a rat named Cinnamon.  


The fact that I've always wanted a rat is not the only thing I had in common with Stargirl.  I've always been a little outside of normal. I wished I'd read this book when I was 16.  It might have stopped me from trying to be normal.  I would be so much more me right now.  I don't really want to say more about it, because it's delicate and deserves to have people come into it with an open mind.


Please read it.


"She was elusive.  
She was today.  
She was tomorrow. 


 She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, 
                       the flitting shadow of an elf owl.  


We did not know what to make of her.  


In our minds we tried to pin her to corkboard like a butterfly, 
but the pin merely went through and 
away 
       she 
            flew."


 ~Stargirl, Jerry Spinelli 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Give a smile. :)