Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 78 | Car

Somewhere and I made the biggest purchase I've ever made in my life Saturday.  We bought a car.  Not a cheap used car.  No, we bought a 2008 Kia Sorento with only 20,000 miles on it.  We both agree we've never driven a car with that few miles on it.  I've never owned a car that had a warranty.

I was terrified.

We desperately needed a new car though.  Somewhere's car, the one we thought would outlast my car, give up the ghost Sunday before last... in the Starbucks parking lot 45 minutes from our house.  The clutch gave out.  It's a $600 repair with a $40 part.  Stupid.  The car is worth $250 (which is what we're asking if anyone wants it.)  There was no sense in getting it fixed.


We prayed before hand that we would have a complete peace if it was the right car.  Went to the first car dealership and nope.  In the long run, they simply needed more than we had to put down.  We went to Kia, where they were having the Memorial Day event and it all lined up.  If it had been any of the other salesmen in the place, we wouldn't have bought it.  This guy was ex-Air Force, he had been stationed where Somewhere was born.  He was very nice, joking and upfront about the car.  He asked what kind of car we were looking for and thought it was great we said "Well, we have what will be two giant dogs and we need good gas milage and not a huge cost."

We looked at the smaller SUVs.  We liked several.  He talked us into a car that was $10,000 less than the one's we'd picked out.  He said "I just don't want you to get more than you need as far as price."
(As a side note: I've never owned/or had my parents own, while I was in their house, a compact car.  Aside from borrowing my mom's car for a few months, I've only driven land yachts.)

  I had this crazy, sick nervous feeling because of the thought of another bill, but I still had a peace.  A deep peace.  That's nuts, I know, but it's true.  I finally signed the check for the down payment.  We drove it home that day.

I'm in love. It's literally the most fun I've ever had driving a car the first time.

Oh, and if you turn on the A/C (the fact that it has A/c is wonderous) to high, it blows your hair in a modelicious way.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Give a smile. :)