Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 10

Tonight is about words.

There is amazing strength in words: "i love you." "i'm proud of you." "i'm home."

There is amazing harm in words: "i hate you." "you make me sick." "goodbye."

It astounds me how just a few words can either make or break a moment.   I am a great lover of words and their meanings.  Not so much their place in grammar, but, that is neither here nor there.   I can't think of words without thinking about how a scientist put words on samples of water, and then, after freezing the water, he took pictures of the patterns.  Jagged, ugly, harsh shapes appeared in the water with words of that type and beautiful mosaics in the words that were kind and gentle.

The Bible calls on us to watch our idle words.  I hope one day to become the kind of person who is one to be listened to.  The kind of person who is quiet unless the thing is truly important enough to be spoken.  Guard my tongue, please, I beg you, God.

This song is the thing that keeps running through my head tonight.  Particularly the line "I used to be afraid of cluttered noises.  Now I'm afraid of silence" How often do we say "man, I'd just like some peace and quiet!" When the time comes though, all we do is fill it with noise.

There's only artificial light
My flaws hide well here
I used to be afraid of cluttered noises
Now I'm afraid of silence

Fill this space Idle words
I'm scared to death of light and silence
Jesus kill me inside this
Raise me up to live again
Like you did, like you did.

Now I am mute despite myself
All of them are gone
The silence overtakes me
The idle words forsake me and I am left to face me
I'm held accountable
For every idle word
Curse the idle words
(Flyleaf, "In the Dark" )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give a smile. :)