Thursday, January 27, 2011

日6

‘When you painted on earth–at least in your earlier days–it was because you caught glimpses of Heaven in the earthly landscape. The success of your painting was that it enabled others to see the glimpses too. But here you are having the thing itself. It is from here that the messages came. There is no good telling us about this country, for we see it already. In fact, we see it better than you do.’
‘Then there's never going to be any point in painting here?’

‘I don’t say that. When you’ve grown into a Person (it’s all right, we all had to do it) there’ll be some things which you’ll see better than anyone else.
 One of the things you’ll want to do will be to tell us about them. But not yet. At present your business is to see. Come and see. He is endless. Come and feed.’


   This beautiful quote comes from the book "The Great Divorce" by the great C.S. Lewis.  This is the current audiobook that I'm listening to on my route to work.   I love the idea that what we capture, that thing that keeps artist thirsty, the glimmer that stops you in your tracks and makes you want to hold that thing for ever, is a glimpse of Heaven.  I know that sounds cheesy or sappy.  I do believe that in our souls is a deep, deep seed, desperate for the light of what we were before all was changed.  I often feel all that is good is a remnant of that.   How corny? Pretty darn. 


    My dear BFF came over again, two days before she leaves again for school, and we spent time giggling and painting.  Before we started, we discussed who we thought we would be like when were older and moms.  Then as I painted, with oils for the first time, I stopped and closed my eyes, letting Imogen Heap take me to a happy place.  I am beginning to determine that great artist don't become great by only creating art when they have total days to work on them.  They become great by thinking that art is important enough for you to make time.  Here's two of the things I doodled with tonight.  Yeah, I'm an art major, and yes, this is what I would like to pursue in some form as a career.  I am totally not putting these up as an example of my better works.  This is just doodlings. :-p





  Does this post have much to it, other than a quote and random musings about art? Nope.  Am I running out of material?  You totally don't know me.  I neeevvvveeeerrr run out of things to talk about


Remember:


"At present your business is to see. 
Come and see. 
          He is endless. 
Come and feed."











1 comment:

  1. Christa Joy you put up your awesome doodles! That makes me so happy-happy that you posting even what you dont consider "your best," and your proud of it. I look up to that. I love you BFF&F&F&F.

    ReplyDelete

Give a smile. :)